Yamaha Announces 2011 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still perfectly happy with my '03! I don't have ECM problems, jerkiness, ground spider problems, or any of the other little problems the Gen II seam to have! AND it's lighter and faster too! lol

[SIZE=14pt]This just in!!!! Hot off the press form the Yammer website site!!![/SIZE]

[SIZE=18pt]Engineers could NOT better the Gen1! Therefore they have elected to reissue the Gen2 as a Gen3, the ultimate loser bike.[/SIZE]

...You get the scoop this year my friend. Had been checking but you got me while I was "walking the dog".
So that's what the kids call "it" these days.

:lol:

BTW, to remain on topic...as long as they keep making them I'm happy. I will need to replace this '04 sometime in the distant future, and '04s are starting to get hard to find...so maybe a newer one will be in order when I have to pry this one off my hands.

Well, I would like to know why Yamaha cannot make a saddle that is comfortable and in the low position does not drive your crotch into the gas tank. Heated grips on the clutchess, is that where the $300 increase is buried? I would also like to know why they cannot put a 6 sp trans when the Conti and BMW have it. With the hp these bikes put out there is no reason not to put a 6th overdrive on the bike. As for liquid silver color, what a bore. Glad I have the '07 which always gets favorable comments.

:rolleyes: You got it right. Dealer told me that the US economy was too unpredictable.
In my experience, the dealer's insight into what Yamaha corporate is thinking isn't any more accurate than what we read here.
If you go on to the web you can find sh_t loads of 2010 FJRs. I'm a small business owner and the economy has forced me to limit the amount of new products we had planned to introduce this next year. 2009 and 2010 sucked as far as sales went. It costs us about $20-30K to introduce a new product and we only sell small items. We decided this year that we could only put out 2 of the 6 products we had in development. It's just a matter of investment dollars vs recovering that investment in sales, so if the sales aren't there you don't invest. So I don't think Yamaha saw sales justifying a new FJR. Did I want a new model, heck yes! But if the sales can't support the $500-800K in development costs for retooling then we just aren't going to get one. Whine if you want but those are the facts of life. I personally know the owner of the dealership. You can spout off that dealers will make up crap but in this case I don't think those were the facts.

It would have been great to have a cross plane crank FJR and have it lose 50 lbs, a new restyle for a tired design; maybe next year.

I would also like to know why they cannot put a 6 sp trans when the Conti and BMW have it. With the hp these bikes put out there is no reason not to put a 6th overdrive on the bike.

As has been explained previously (many, many times), the 5th gear on existing FJR models is already an over-drive (greater than 1:1). So if there was a 6 speed tranny designed, it'd just result in them stuffing more ratios between 1st and top gears.

Let's check out the gear ratios on the 3 big supersport tourers. (note that the FJR is the only one that has a true overdrive top gear in the traditional sense). The numbers in parens following each gear ratio are the overall gear ratios after applying the primary and seconday ratios to the gear ratios (ie how many engine rotations to rotate the rear wheel).

2008 FJR1300 (2nd gen)

Primary reduction ratio - (1.563)

Secondary reduction ratio - (2.698)

1st gear - 2.529 (10.665)

2nd gear - 1.773 (7.477)

3rd gear - 1.348 (5.685)

4th gear - 1.077 (4.747)

5th gear - 0.929 (3.916)

BMW K1300GT

Primary Drive - 1.56

Secondary Drive Ratio - 2.82

1st - 2.398 (10.549)

2nd - 1.871 (8.231)

3rd - 1.525 (6.709)

4th - 1.296 (5.702)

5th - 1.143 (5.028)

6th - 1.015 (4.465)

Kawasaki Concours:

Primary Reduction Ratio 1.556

Final Reduction Ratio 2.036

1st - 3.333 (10.5590)

2nd - 2.412 (7.6413)

3rd - 1.900 (6.0192)

4th - 1.545 (4.8946)

5th - 1.292 (4.0931)

6th - 1.074 (3.4024)

All three have about the same primary gear ratios, but the Connie has a significantly taller final drive ratio.

Note that the overall ratios in 1st gear the FJR's actually has lowest gearing (biggest number) meaning that, with the current gearing the FJR has an advantage in off the line acceleration.

Comparing the top gear overall ratios the FJR is right in the middle.

This translates to the following rpms at 80mph:

FJR - 3.916:1 (3998 rpm @80mph)

BMW - 4.465:1 (4556 rpm @80mph)

Connie 3.402:1 (3472 rpm @80 mph)

Comparing the BMW and FJR there is no advantage to having a 6th gear.

The Kawasaki, OTOH has a shorter top (6th) gear, but due to the much taller final drive, the overall ratios work out such that the Connie's 5th is equivalent to the FJRs 5th, and the Kawaski's 6th is even taller.

If the objective is to have a taller top gear, to reduce engine rpm on the highway, it seems like changing the final drive ratio is the way to go rather than adding a 6th. Raising the FJRs final drive ratio to ~2.4:1 would make the FJR's 5th equivalent to the Connie's 6th overall and their 1st gears would still be about the same. So the FJR could cover the same range of ratios with 5 gears that the Connie does with 6.

Engines with the broad torque of the FJR do not need more, narrowly spaced gear ratios. This just results in more shifting for no good reason. The engines that need narrow spaced gears are the ones that make their power in a narrower band of rpms.

So, what you all really want is a taller final drive ratio. But I'll just keep mine the way it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of guys are doing just that (changing out the final drive) on Suzuki C-50's. Just get an old drive from a C-90 or an older 1400, a little grinding here and there and wallah, you have a much more relaxed highway bike without significantly changing the bikes characteristics at lower speeds.

Let's check out the gear ratios on the 3 big supersport tourers. (note that the FJR is the only one that has a true overdrive top gear in the traditional sense). The numbers in parens following each gear ratio are the overall gear ratios after applying the primary and seconday ratios to the gear ratios (ie how many engine rotations to rotate the rear wheel).
2008 FJR1300 (2nd gen)

Primary reduction ratio - (1.563)

Secondary reduction ratio - (2.698)

1st gear - 2.529 (11.4247)

2nd gear - 1.773 (7.8148)

3rd gear - 1.348 (5.9415)

4th gear - 1.077 (4.747)

5th gear - 0.929 (4.0947)

Nice analysis but you need to recalculate these numbers (example: 1.563 x 2.698 x .929 = 3.9175) since it appears you used the BMW's secondary reduction ratio to calculate the FJR's overall ratios.

I have a C14 and think 6th is geared too high because it doesn't seem to give any better fuel mileage than 5th except when running downhill and results in lower mileage when going up a grade or into a head wind. I prefer the FJR's 5th gear ratio over the C14's 6th gear overdrive.

Heated grips I am sold "its 115 degrees in Havasu today". I am going down to the cycle shop today were my son works and order one now. Or just wait it will be sitting on the floor for a long time and I can make a deal! Just after I ORDERED my second release 05 I was told that the FJR was going though many changes "not UP GRADES" Changes. At first I was kind of concerned that I should have waited but I am very happy I did not! Its like comparing a late 60's Camero to a 70's model. I know which one I would rather have.

HEATED GRIPS?????
THAT'S IT????? HEATED FREAKING GRIPS!?!?!?!?!??!
Don't want to 'chuck salt in the wounds' but here is just a little pinch :rolleyes:

I own the Canadian 2010 version which is liquid silver and has heated grips as standard (in fact heated grips have been standard for a few years).

Wonder why Yamaha has chosen not to upgrade/update their FJR...

Dale

I just called customer relations at Yamaha Corp., to vent to them about the non-color change. I indicated to "Ty" that apparently Yamaha doesn't listen/read FJR forums to see what the FJR riders are requesting in a new model. I also indicated that we (my wife Iris and I) were looking to buy two new FJRs this year, but now that Yamaha has decided to stick with the same "Liquid Silver" color we are thinking about switching manufacturers. Don't get me wrong, the FJR has been a great bike, but come on, the same stinking color two years in a row. Is Yamaha trying not to sell bikes? Give the people alittle color. I also told Ty, that Yamaha offers different color schemes in Europe, so it's not like they can't afford to get alittle creative with the paint can.
Sorry.......I just had to vent. Christ.....oopps, did it again. F*#k, :angry: I'm done now.
Don't tell me you and Iris are switching to Kawi?
I think they'd fit in with the Beemer crowd better... :rolleyes:
Nah, There to nice to be Beemer folk. The new ST1300 when it gets unvailed may be in there future. JMO

aGAIN yAMAHOG gives us nothing . kawai uped the ante, BMW JUST raised the ante , 6 cylinder, electronic damping compression , heated grips ,seat and computer, hid system , backrest, magnesium sub frame, and more looks like a home run too me . Can any of us afford it ,leTS wait and see .

Nice analysis but you need to recalculate these numbers (example: 1.563 x 2.698 x .929 = 3.9175) since it appears you used the BMW's secondary reduction ratio to calculate the FJR's overall ratios.
Good catch!! I went back and re-calculated the FJRs numbers and updated my prior post. The conclusions are the same.

BTW - I was (am) using a gearing calculation spreadsheet I found online. It is kind of handy for going through these mental gymnastics. Worth a download.

I have a C14 and think 6th is geared too high because it doesn't seem to give any better fuel mileage than 5th except when running downhill and results in lower mileage when going up a grade or into a head wind. I prefer the FJR's 5th gear ratio over the C14's 6th gear overdrive.
So if the Concours was regeared such that 6th gear was closer to the FJR's (and it's own) 5th gear, say substitute a 2.35:1 final drive, 1st gear would then end up being a ridiculously low 12.18:1, suitable for pulling stumps and not much else. This just further emphasizes that there is no need for a 6 speed on such a large displacement motorcycle.

Good catch!! I went back and re-calculated the FJRs numbers and updated my prior post. The conclusions are the same.

BTW - I was (am) using a gearing calculation spreadsheet I found online. It is kind of handy for going through these mental gymnastics. Worth a download.

So if the Concours was regeared such that 6th gear was closer to the FJR's (and it's own) 5th gear, say substitute a 2.35:1 final drive, 1st gear would then end up being a ridiculously low 12.18:1, suitable for pulling stumps and not much else. This just further emphasizes that there is no need for a 6 speed on such a large displacement motorcycle.
I would not change the C14's final drive, I would add teeth to 6th gear so the overall gear ratio for 6th gear would be around 3.7-3.8 instead of 3.4. Currently there is a 20 percent gearing change between 5th and 6th and that is too big of gap, especially since there doesn't seem to be any real benefit from such tall gearing. I have read comments that extra tall gearing results in the engine running well below its max fuel efficiency level but have never seen any hard data where the max efficiency level is.... but the BMWs seem to get very good fuel mileage even though they are turning a lot of rpms at highway speeds.

Yeah, I just don't understand this 6th gear crap? I don't put my FJR into 5th until I'm going 65-70, how tall do ya need the gearing to be? It already seems way to easy to get a performance award already. With the FJR's torque, 5 is plenty.

As far as upgrading, Yamaha is smart to keep refining the bike, if they keep the price (And weight?) well below the competition. (Let the fools run out and buy $25K-$30K high maintenance BMWs with all kinds of mechanical problems like their 13GT and that 6 cylinder pig.)

Besides the heated grips, they could probably make the seat & windshield a little better. Fix that ground spider thang, so the bike starts every time you turn the key, and wahlah you have a winner.

All the stupid magazines that sell lame BS & hype won't like it, but us long riders will.

.. and it seems to me the reason most people keep wanting a 6th gear, is

to reduce the high frequency buzz, not realizing the ratio is already <1 as

noted many times.

It's cruising RPM and gas milage is already very very good.

Any new vehicle takes a automatic depreciation hit the instant it is titled.

I did not buy a new 2010 to sell and I am sure Full House has no plans of selling either.

Depreciation is a economical fact of life.

On Topic: Does not surprise me a bit nothing new for 2011 on the FJR. I am interested to see when and what gets changed on a FJR in the future.

A comfortable seat on any Brand does not exist in my experiences.

Cruise with the newly added heated grips would take care of me, and with Xenon Lighting it would be perfect for me.

Never going to get a great suspension on any bike you get with few exceptions in strait out Sport Bikes. It is one of the first things I do on my bikes and one of the most expensive. It is worth every penny to me and because of the expense is where manufactures again go to the "standard" or "good enough".

And seats and windshields are a subjective area and easy for manufacturers to skimp or arrive at "good enough" end results.

I think the Economy has everyone scrambling and Yamaha is no different.

Not familiar enough with Yamaha yet to know but what motor, or feature, can be morphed into a FJR, or what more does everyone want?

Bought a 2010 this year, looks like mine didn't get any older.
If you believe that, try selling it for what you paid for it.