The 2015/2016 Big FJR Tire Poll

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When it is time to replace the tires (pick 3)

• I have a shop change them

Votes: 228 49.1%
  • I change my own (or have a friend change them)

Votes: 178 38.4%
  • I change them in sets (front and rear at the same time)

Votes: 193 41.6%
  • I change them when they wear out (not in at the same time)

Votes: 199 42.9%
  • I always use the same brand and model front and rear (matched sets)

Votes: 258 55.6%
  • I sometimes use different model tires front and rear and select what I think is the best for each.

Votes: 77 16.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear that the most of you,uses 41,42,43 psi front and rear.You don't feel the bike too hard on the road especially over bumps or on a rough asphalt??I use 36,36 front and rear solo or with a passenger without load and 36,41 with passenger and full load all these years without problems.

I hear that the most of you,uses 41,42,43 psi front and rear.You don't feel the bike too hard on the road especially over bumps or on a rough asphalt??I use 36,36 front and rear solo or with a passenger without load and 36,41 with passenger and full load all these years without problems.
Yamaha recommended 36/42 for GenI, 39/42 for GenII, 36/42 for GenIII (there might be changes during the years, but that's my understanding).
I've always run around 40/43 for my GenII bikes, with my GenIII I find even 39 in the front too harsh. I'm running 36 or 37 in the front, 42 or 43 in the rear. That lower front pressure reduces the harshness, though still less comfortable than my GenII bikes. (The suspension settings don't make it any more comfortable, I'm sure it's simply over-sprung for my 147 lbs (67 Kg) weight.

Having discussed this before, it's been suggested my front tyre (the original BT023F) will be scalloped and generally unridable after 2000 miles (I exagurate slightly :) ). However after 6000 miles, there's no sign of strange wear, the tyre still behaves properly, and has plenty of tread left.

So, in my case, on my GenIII, the answer to your question is "yes", but I find the rear as low as 38 makes it a little more squirmy than I like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't vote. The BT023 and its GT variant are still available here.

My vote would be currently BT023 (GT optional), possibly moving on to the T30. I'm trying a T30 on the rear now, so far so good, possibly better than the 023 for stability in less-than-perfect-surface corners.

OK, I've made questions 1,2 and 4 multiple choice allowed (not question 3).
It will be interesting to see any difference as compared to prior polls with a single choice allowed.

PS - I did not mind the BT023GT front tire. It worked well with a PR2 rear. I'll be using the T30GT front the same way soon as I wear the OEM POS out. The rear 023GT was not so good, IMO.
Interesting to note you refer to the OEM front as a POS. I have a 2014ES as well and the front tire still has more than half tread at 9500 miles. The tire is wearing very evenly as well. The OEM rear is now down to the wear bars so it will come off soon.
It may well be the rear that doesn't feel good. All I know is the tires are not confidence inspiring right now.

My vote would be currently BT023 (GT optional), possibly moving on to the T30. I'm trying a T30 on the rear now, so far so good, possibly better than the 023 for stability in less-than-perfect-surface corners.
Sure you can vote. See the last choice (other)

Edit - Interesting... I just went to Bridgestone's web site and they list the T30's as "Sport Touring" and still list the BT023's, but as "Touring". All of the US vendors are clearing out the 023's and only carrying the T30's now. I gues B'stone reralized the T30's would not last as long as the 023's when they came out with them.

For those talking about running the rear tire at 43 or 44 psi, are you aware that these tires are all rated up to 42 psi max pressure? I know that isn't a huge amount higher, maybe even within the tolerance of accuracy of your tire gauge. But if your gauge is reading a bit low and you pump it up to 44 psi, then take it out for a hot lap...

mcatrophy,my 03/abs owners manual recommended 36/36 for solo riding and high speed.And 36/41 for over of 90kg load riding..

Tried one time 36/41-42 and was uncomfortable.My weight is 68kg and my gf's weight is 56kg.Always i use 36/36 front and rear and the bike is very comfortable without any other problem.

Sure you can vote. See the last choice (other)

Edit - Interesting... I just went to Bridgestone's web site and they list the T30's as "Sport Touring" and still list the BT023's, but as "Touring". All of the US vendors are clearing out the 023's and only carrying the T30's now. I gues B'stone reralized the T30's would not last as long as the 023's when they came out with them.

For those talking about running the rear tire at 43 or 44 psi, are you aware that these tires are all rated up to 42 psi max pressure? I know that isn't a huge amount higher, maybe even within the tolerance of accuracy of your tire gauge. But if your gauge is reading a bit low and you pump it up to 44 psi, then take it out for a hot lap...
Ok, I could have used "other", but that requires I wrote something :) .
Don't know where you get your max pressure info, my rear T30 says 57 psi on its sticker.

(Click on image for larger view)

Quote:

Motorcycle Tires: do not exceed 57 P.S.I.

Dunlop Roadsmart 2, with the 190/55 rear.

Getting about 7500 miles now with the pressures at 42F, 43R.

Sides slightly more shagged than centers at replacement.

Almost entirely two-up.

--------- Fred -----

On my RS2 rear. Max Load 853 Lbs @ 42 PSI Cold

Hot temperature will be higher pending load, speed, and scrub.

I use to purchase the Pilot Road tires but they have become ridiculously expensive. I'm using Continental conti-motion tires which are very resonable priced, handle/stick really well and last a resonably long time. I got 7,500 on the rear tire and about 10K on the front before replacing them. In the future, I will replace as a set. Once I replaced the front tire, it felt like a new bike again.

Considering the T-30 EVO. I've had good luck with T-30 GT.

Anybody tried the EVO yet?

Just replaced the OEM Bridgestones with PR2's. Got 9700 miles on the OEM tires. Front tire still had half tread and the rear was down to wear bars. I ran 39F/42R. Replacement PR2's are same size front and 190/55 rear. Again psi 39/42. Did a 980 miles ride this past week and can report the bike handled very well. The ride included many miles of mountain twisties SR120 thru Yosemite NP and SR178. The 190/55 puts the speedo in sync with the GPS. Turn in seems effortless. Will be doing a 3800 mile ride in July thru mountains of NV, NM, CO, SD, WY, ID, and OR which will be a better test of wear and performance.

Festar and I put new tires on last summer in Oregon on the same day. FJRay put Pierelli Angel GTs on Festars bike, I bought a set of PR4 GTs from a dealer in Bend Or.

My front began to cup almost immediately, low pressure problem, after pressure was increased from 32 to 41 the front cupping didn't get any worse.

We rode together for 8,000 miles. My PR4 was down to the wear bars when I got home. Brian rode an additional couple thousand miles and limped into Spearfish on the steel cords.

We both put Angel GT's on.

I rode mine for the first time yesterday, 150 miles, love the new shoes so far, we'll see after SW FOG.

With two long slab trips scheduled this Summer I may try the dark side for a few months.

With two long slab trips scheduled this Summer I may try the dark side for a few months.
I've been toying with the idea of going Fatside but I've got a week-long ride at the end of June to Mobile, Al. Can you say flat and straight? Even without interstates. I've decided to leave the car tire on until after that.

Decided to try something different.

The GT version worked good for me.

With 2 bikes in the stable it may be a while before I can do a mileage comparison.

P1000330.jpg

OK, I've made questions 1,2 and 4 multiple choice allowed (not question 3).
It will be interesting to see any difference as compared to prior polls with a single choice allowed.

PS - I did not mind the BT023GT front tire. It worked well with a PR2 rear. I'll be using the T30GT front the same way soon as I wear the OEM POS out. The rear 023GT was not so good, IMO.
Interesting to note you refer to the OEM front as a POS. I have a 2014ES as well and the front tire still has more than half tread at 9500 miles. The tire is wearing very evenly as well. The OEM rear is now down to the wear bars so it will come off soon.
Currently running PR4 rear and T30GT front and love this combo. Up until my "14ES I had run Angel ST/GTs and liked them, but their handling drops off significantly after about 50% wear and requires a fair bit of counter pressure on the bars to turn in. With the '14ES, the 023s wore about the same as the Angels but their handling was easy and consistent right up to replacement and I was very pleased to the point I used them again.

I've currently got 4800 miles on my PR4/T30 combo and the handling is excellent, still like new. Rear tread depth started at 10/32" and is now at just under 7/32", front started at 8/32" and is now at 6/32". I rarely do full throttle runs but do run brisk paces in the twisty stuff with some freeway in there too. My Angels usually gave me 6200-6500 miles so the current combo will easily exceed this and I have better handling to boot.

Dunlop Roadsmart 2. When I find something that fits my needs I stick with it. They make me smile.

H

I am definitely sold on Pirelli Angel GT 'A'.

I have never had such confidence in any other tyre.

I used to use PR3 but after 4 or 5 sets of Angels im not even tempted to try PR4

I have had typical experience with the Bt 021 on the bike when purchased new, a terrible tire! I changed to Pr 2's at 2000 kms due to premature front tire wear. Dealer suggested my riding style caused this to happen and in spite of countless responses here on the forum with similar they wouldn't budge. I replaced with the PR 2's and had great ride quality and mileage. I have since gone 3's and now 4 GT's with great experience, both mileage and handling for my skill and riding style. I rode across Canada all ten provinces and zig zagged back across the states to Kansas before replacing my PR 2's at 17,000 kms. That mileage has been my average with all Michelin tires since? I ride 42/42 and check my tire pressure daily before riding. I believe the tire pressure consistent is necessary to achieve the best mileage performance? So far the 4 GT's have been great and especially in the wet, very good feel and traction control but they do seem to transmit a little more road condition feedback? Maybe just me? After my first tire experience I purchased a Cycle Hill (NoMar) tire changer and all my tires have been replaced by me at the best possible purchase price I can find. My beer fridge is never empty helping friends with their tire change overs since!

Decided to try something different.The GT version worked good for me.

With 2 bikes in the stable it may be a while before I can do a mileage comparison.
What does the Evo bring, that the GT doesn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.