The 2015/2016 Big FJR Tire Poll

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When it is time to replace the tires (pick 3)

• I have a shop change them

Votes: 228 49.1%
  • I change my own (or have a friend change them)

Votes: 178 38.4%
  • I change them in sets (front and rear at the same time)

Votes: 193 41.6%
  • I change them when they wear out (not in at the same time)

Votes: 199 42.9%
  • I always use the same brand and model front and rear (matched sets)

Votes: 258 55.6%
  • I sometimes use different model tires front and rear and select what I think is the best for each.

Votes: 77 16.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to try something different.The GT version worked good for me.

With 2 bikes in the stable it may be a while before I can do a mileage comparison.
What does the Evo bring, that the GT doesn't?
Supposedly better wet weather performance due to different compound and more sipes.

The new EVO is definitely better in the wet than the old GT I took off but that's not really a fair comparison.

Probably done more wet weather riding this year than in the 3 previous put together so I guess it is a good time to try the EVO.

I've been running Metzler Z-6s for years, front and back, because...If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I get great wear on them, and have no complaints about handling (I mostly ride the superslab, with the occasional twisties). And I run the recommended PSI (36/42), because that seems also to maximize tire life, with good handling.

But I'm not averse to trying something else, given that I see virtually no one else uses the Metzlers (according to this highly scientific poll
tonguesmiley.gif
). Am I throwing my money away when I can pay less for as good or better quality, performance, and wear???

Last edited by a moderator:
What makes the PR4's so much better than the PR2's?

I've gotten great wear & enough grip to stay vertical out of the PR2's for quite a few miles.

Interesting that the PR3's are sucking hind tit in the poll since I was able to score a new front PR3 for $75 but haven't mounted it yet.

FWIW, I have a PR3 on my 2003 C10 daily commuter that grips OK & is wearing well.

It would be pretty wild to have the poll automagically search the web for the lowest prices on each tire.
wink.png

I've been running Metzler Z-6s for years, front and back, because...If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I get great wear on them, and have no complaints about handling (I mostly ride the superslab, with the occasional twisties). And I run the recommended PSI (36/42), because that seems also to maximize tire life, with good handling.
But I'm not averse to trying something else, given that I see virtually no one else uses the Metzlers (according to this highly scientific poll
tonguesmiley.gif
). Am I throwing my money away when I can pay less for as good or better quality, performance, and wear???
My bike had Metzlers Z6's on it when new and I liked them fine just. The only reason I changed brands was in the hopes of better longevity with the same grip at a better price. I found it in the Pirelli Diablo Strada, now discontinued. The Angel is almost as good. I've tried a few others but keep coming back to Pirelli.

tonguesmiley.gif
My bike had Metzlers Z6's on it when new and I liked them fine just. The only reason I changed brands was in the hopes of better longevity with the same grip at a better price. I found it in the Pirelli Diablo Strada, now discontinued. The Angel is almost as good. I've tried a few others but keep coming back to Pirelli.
Had no complaints with the Z6 overall but usually worn out by 6k, and hard to tell when you've reached their limit without a center groove..

Hmmmm. Got a little over 10,000 miles on the original from-the-factory Bridgestone tires. The rear has a flat centerline, since I'm riding mostly on Interstates, but still has room on the wear bars for another couple of months. (Or maybe I mean I can't see steel belts yet.)

Think I'm of the same mind as James Burleigh: the current tires are doing a fine job, so why change things? It would be different if my hoon percentage was greater than 15%, but I'm quite comfortable riding like my grandmother.

Interesting that the PR4's are in the lead (expected) but the PR2's take second place over the PR3's.

If you put those three together they are kicking butt against all other offerings...

But the B'stone T-30's do seem to be well received.

What would be interesting is if we had a pivot table, where we could see what the people choose in each category of Question 3. I suspect some of the outliers in the tire choices (Pirelli for example) might be the top choice of the people choosing "Handling" as a premium in Q3. Unfortunately the data can not be sliced that way on the forum, so you'll just have to use your imaginations.

Also may be significant that "Car Tire" seems to NOT be nearly as popular as all the noise you hear about them. Perhaps just a loud minority?

(warning - editorial bias) Maybe most FJR riders are smarter than we give them credit for?
unsure.png

I am testing yet another set of tires. This time it is the Metzeler Sportec M7 RR. Why would I try that tire? Its not a sport touring tire. Well, No one seems to know alot about this tire. Even when you call Metzeler, they dont have alot of feedback from riders about the tire in the real world. Is it going to last long like a PR or a Angel GT? Probably not. Will it ride good and handle good? So far so good. The tires were easy to mount, thank you George!! :)

The Angel GT I just took off the front had 7000 miles on it and it was pretty used up thanks to the GREAT Oregon roads a couple of weeks ago. The rear Angle GT still looks really good with just 3000 miles on it.

product_sheet_SportecM7RR_460X500.png

I noticed that Motorcycle Superstore had an advertised special (yesterday's deal of the day) on the Shinko Raven 009. Past comments I have read suggest that the "Stinko's" are sub-standard in quality and longevity but I was a bit surprised at some of the (mostly) positive reviews on the site. They may make my list for testing after I finish with the T30GT I have waiting in the wings.

I noticed that Motorcycle Superstore had an advertised special (yesterday's deal of the day) on the Shinko Raven 009. Past comments I have read suggest that the "Stinko's" are sub-standard in quality and longevity but I was a bit surprised at some of the (mostly) positive reviews on the site. They may make my list for testing after I finish with the T30GT I have waiting in the wings.
I will be doing the same. Have a set of 009s in my garage and will spoon them on are I return from Spearfish, SD, when my 'stones should be worn out

I used PR4 and made 19k in the rear and 14k in front ( use only front for breaking ).

Tire longevity is so dependant on so many variables I'm not surprised it varies so widely. Road surface composition, throttle and brake application, and general riding style are as much responsible for mileage as tire composition. Pirelli Angle GT is my current compromise, with 6,000 miles so far. Rear is squared off significantly, and the front is mildly cupped. I run 40 front solo, 42 loaded 2-up, 42 rear solo and 44 loaded. We like to plan trips with 500-600 miles daily. If you have a schedule to keep that means Interstate. Current Pirellis look to have 1,500 to 2,000 miles left. Wet and dry grip are primary concern, then mileage, then price. Got a set of T30s on deck. OEM 023s were toast after 6,700 miles.

Coming up on 8k miles on the PR4 rear and GT30 front. Rear has about 1k left to go before wear bars, same with front. Rear has not squared off and still has a nice profile. Very happy with it.

Posted this elsewhere: Bike goes into surgery Saturday (27th) to remove OEM Bridgestones and attach PR4-GTs. Why PR4-GTs? Because the Connie-riding service tech said he had 8,000 miles on his and they looked brand new. Those Bridgestones gave me over 10,000 miles, so the GTs better hold up.

I enjoy reading the widely varying opinions and results. Kind of makes me want to try a set of PR 4s. However, I'll add my experience since scrapping the OEM Stones after just 5,000 miles. My next set were B-Stone T30s. I really liked their feel and handling, dry and wet grip, and got 7,500 miles out of them (acceptable, as far as I'm concerned). They would have been good for at least another 1,000 miles had I not picked up a nail in the rear tire. I'm now on a set of Pirelli Angel GTs, with just a few hundred miles so far. The T30s turned in faster and easier than the Angels, and if the Angels don't get at least 7,500 miles I'll be going back to the T30s for sure.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Ycab" data-cid="1237404" data-time="1434331797"><p>

I used PR4 and made 19k in the rear and 14k in front ( use only front for breaking ).</p></blockquote>

Kilometers or miles? 19k on a rear? Sounds unbelievable.

I used PR4 and made 19k in the rear and 14k in front ( use only front for breaking ).
I see why you break things with the front, you are not using it to steer with. Please start using the front for braking AND steering!
tonguesmiley.gif

Welcome to the forum.
bye.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.