Louisiana Road Information

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrb0

Reaction score
VTX and I are riding to Mississippi for BBQ at the end of October. Looking to ride down thru south central Ark, come out in northern LA somewhere between Shreveport and Ruston. I've never been thru central LA, so looking for some recommendations on good roads. Plan would be to come out into MS somewhere around Natchez, MS, or even further south. The BBQ place we are headed to is called the Shed in Ocean Springs. Any recommendations on roads thru LA?

After we eat, heading west along the coast towards New Orleans, then on to New Iberia, then thru Pecan Island towards Port Arthur. We will probably jump up to I-10 or above to skirt Beaumont and the hurricane damage. Any inputs on how those roads are after Ike and Gustav? :flood:

Then it's on to the Tejas Hill Kuntry.... :cowboy:

Well, you must be right, no good roads in LA....but, with good food in MS, and good food in Tejas, and cajun in the middle, well, there you go. Can't be any worse than riding across Kansas and Nebraska! Although to be honest, I though both of those were scenic in their own way, and very historical. Nebraska has the record so far for the worst bugs, but I am betting LA can give her a run for the money. :D

Hi FJRBO,

This post is a little ironic to me as I was born in Alexandria and raised here in the Tejas Hill Country. Please be careful anywhere in La. The roads are very bad in some spots due to the high water table and the cops in that part of the country dont take kindly to ANY of them there NEEENJA bikes...our beloved FJR included. There are no shoulders on most 2-lane roads and the speed limit is 55 everywhere unless otherwise posted. They operate under the Napoleanic code of law which means you are guilty until proven innocent...and they will take your license from you until you settle...works OK in La. but Texas and Mississippi wont honor your La ticket as a license....Axe me how I know ! <_<

I dont want to discourage you but just take extra care...Those folks worship the movie Deliverance...run if'n you hear any banjo music...accordians are cool and fiddles too, just beware the banjo bro. The state has some very beautiful places in a jurassic kind of way too.

The Texas Hill Country is just way cool, the chip-n-seal pavement takes some getting used to and although small the forest rats are quite numerous so ride extra fast and watch for pigs, ferrel hogs too !

You are right about the food in both locales....outstanding ! Enjoy and be careful, not safe mind ya, just careful !

Blessings,

Bobby

Thanks, but the darn trip was cancelled due to my work. We've ridden the Hill Country before, and are still going to try to get down there sometime before the year is out. Just may have to forego the Mississippi BBQ and head straight south. Last time we were down there, we saw the rats and the pigs...and only cut one tire on a cattle guard on one of the Sisters...

Latest posts