Reuben Run 6

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to drive to Bend yesterday for a blood test only to find the VA lab closed because the courier couldn't make it to Portland. The normal 45 minute drive home took 2 hours on back roads. Hwy 97 was a parking lot.

I went up to see the eclipse this weekend--it was GREAT. We left this morning a little after 10 in heavy smoke, and it was smoky all day long. Traffic got heavy by the time we got to Sisters, OR, maybe 40 miles NW of Bend. Crawled past La Pine, had lunch at the Harvest Depot, and then crawled the 35 miles from there to Chemult on 97 in--I kid you not--about three hours! Total time, La Pine to Sac: 14.5 hours.
The eclipse was spectacular, but I could have used the FJR this afternoon. It'll be a pleasure to ride 97 next month in "normal" traffic! And maybe some of the forest fires will be out by then, too.
Yep we stayed at Lake Billy Chinook which was 15 miles from the epicenter of totality and watched it from the boat, the actual event was super surreal with fish that started jumping like crazy just before the eclipse, the quiet, the light, very unique.

We also left yesterday about 1:30, the drive to Bend was not that bad, two hours as opposed the the usual 1.5. I looked at the traffic cams (must have been the wrong ones) and decided to go South on 97 to take my Mom back to Eugene MISTAKE! I did bypass about 20 miles of 97 South by using Huntington Rd which helped, when we popped back out to 97 it was butt to balls so (and here is where we un-derail the thread) we also decided to take a late lunch at the Harvest Depot and my Mom had the Ruben, she also forgot to get the other half out of my cooler so I will be having one for lunch today. Once we got to the Crescent cutoff to head West it was easy sailing!

Why was 97 clogged, Ray? Eclipse day? Kalifornians moving to OreeGone?
I would say the majority of the license plates were Kalifornicators leaving after the eclipse. Lots of the locals blame all the problems on immigrants from Kali but there are a lot of homegrown problems also. This isn't known as the Ozarks of the west for no reason.

Went back for the blood test again today. Traffic wasn't as bad but still way more volume than normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why was 97 clogged, Ray? Eclipse day? Kalifornians moving to OreeGone?
I would say the majority of the license plates were Kalifornicators leaving after the eclipse. Lots of the locals blame all the problems on immigrants from Kali but there are a lot of homegrown problems also. This isn't known as the Ozarks of the west for no reason.

Went back for the blood test again today. Traffic wasn't as bad but still way more volume than normal.
Ray, I had to read that twice. Thought you meant you had more blood than normal. Like normal-sized people. We all knew that already.

As for the traffic, there was also a huge hippie/yoga/music festival in the Ochoco National Forest near Prineville contributing to the mess. Guess it's an annual thing they could have maybe had any old weekend, but nooooooooo. 70,000 hippies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Room block has been released. Some are still available and will get the group rate if Reuben Run is mentioned.

Howdy fellow PNW riders,

So I have been out of the saddle for a month now with four broken ribs and am chomping to get out for some spirited riding. I will give you the gory details at the RR6 but to summarize it involved an Aprillia RSV4, Oregon Raceway Park and me stepping off at 85 on July 30th. I am just now feeling good but will be leaving for Lake Shasta this Saturday for nine days so I will really be jonesing for a ride when I get back.

So that being said I wanted to see who was getting here early and would be up for a possible pre-function rip Thursday or Friday? Maybe a run to Service Creek or perhaps an Auferheide to Old McKenzie Highway loop, actually as I write that I remember the Milli fire so Old McKenzie could suck with the smoke, heck there are a ton of good roads around NE of here. There may be less of a chance of getting caught up in a parade during the weekdays so who's up for it?

JP

sounds like fun but I'm way to slow to keep up these days and have stuff to do. Mitchel, Service creek, Fossil, Antelope, Shaniko, Bake oven rd. to Maupin and back is great fun.
smile.png

Howdy fellow PNW riders,
So I have been out of the saddle for a month now with four broken ribs and am chomping to get out for some spirited riding. I will give you the gory details at the RR6 but to summarize it involved an Aprillia RSV4, Oregon Raceway Park and me stepping off at 85 on July 30th. I am just now feeling good but will be leaving for Lake Shasta this Saturday for nine days so I will really be jonesing for a ride when I get back.

So that being said I wanted to see who was getting here early and would be up for a possible pre-function rip Thursday or Friday? Maybe a run to Service Creek or perhaps an Auferheide to Old McKenzie Highway loop, actually as I write that I remember the Milli fire so Old McKenzie could suck with the smoke, heck there are a ton of good roads around NE of here. There may be less of a chance of getting caught up in a parade during the weekdays so who's up for it?

JP
Amy and I should be in mid-day Thursday.

Howdy fellow PNW riders,

JP

Right on, I will make the breakfast burritos and we can hook up for a jaunt Friday! I have one other local rider on board (just got his FJR in June) who is on board as well.

Howdy fellow PNW riders,

JP

Right on, I will make the breakfast burritos and we can hook up for a jaunt Friday! I have one other local rider on board (just got his FJR in June) who is on board as well.
Sweet! Will Mel be with us?

Just rode through La Pine today on my way home from WeSTOC in Reno. :) Crooked River Road and then out to John Day for the night. 103F outside right now! :(

Lots of good roads around here!
punk.gif
We're having WeSTOC 23 in Baker City next year to take advantage of all of the fantastic roads!

Good ride but hwy 242 is closed because of fires. You will need to take hwy 20 out is Sisters.