• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Skyway's Personal Hydration System

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will these mount to either side? I'd like to use two, one on each side.
Yes. That was the original design intention.
Taken from the first page of this thread.

The system shown in the pictures can be mounted to either rear passenger footpeg, with no modification needed to the bike

Duplicate info from the poll thread.

I just finished road testing this unit and here are the results I have. I initially filled the jug with ice at 7.00am and then added as much gatorade as I could. After re-filling with unchilled fluids 1 other time previous during the day, I snapped the following photo at 4:47pm (almost 10 hours later)

IMG_1810.jpg

Then at 10:43pm (almost 16hrs later) I shot this photo before re-filling again. You can see the ice cubes have gotten smaller, but their still hanging in there.

IMG_1819.jpg

Between the time the ride was over and when I first added ice, around 21hrs later, the ice was gone, but the gatorade was still cold. I know we aren't in the high heat season here right now, but I am happy with how the prototype has performed. Normally if I was at a gas station, I would be re-filling with ice, but I wanted to see how long I could keep the liquid contents cold with only one serving of ice.

I did not experience any ill-effects of handling while navigating the high sierra Pass Hwy108, or any issues related to wind during a long high speed Nevada desert run. (I mean closed course circuit) :D

The system shown in the pictures can be mounted to either rear passenger footpeg, with no modification needed to the bike
You didn't expect me to actually read the first post... did you?

You silly boy...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
You didn't expect me to actually read the first post... did you?

You silly boy...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
now THAT would be just too easy. :lol:

Nice idea/design...

I would be interested if I didn't already have a camelback...
I also own/use a camelback, but this mounting location free's up valuable tank bag space, and during certain rides at certain times of the year, I need to able to refill quickly and with as little fuss as possible. The top of the rubbermaid jug is quite a bit bigger than a camelback and can easily be placed under an ice machine/fountain at any gas station. Also since the jug is available for only a few bucks at any wally world etc, replacement for any reason is almost a non factor cost wise.
On our very recent SS1K I utilized the camel back on my back. Refilling it consumed time that I would have rather used doing something else. I refilled my camel back 4 times and each time I spent those precious minutes and with Skyway's solution, I wouldn't have had to disrobe just to refill, and I might have gone the entire ride without a refill.

Any word on final price and when these will be available? Also, will the tubing be part of the unit or do you have to provide your own?

Any word on final price and when these will be available? Also, will the tubing be part of the unit or do you have to provide your own?
Until today I never knew how this was going to work, so the answer to both questions were unknown to me as well. I will try to get answers on cost and delivery ASAP.

I'll take some photo's of what I purchased in terms of hardware to get it working, although I'm sure there's multiple ways to do this. Apart from the bite valve that I used from an existing Camelbac, the tubing cost $0.30(?) a foot from OSH. I'm probably going to purchase the Camelbac "thermal control kit" for the tube, unless I can find something elsewhere suitable to insulate the tube.

I'm having one more final prototype made and then we should be good to go.

Shit... If it is under $1000. I will take one also.... put me on the "list". Smitty :eek:

Shit... If there under $1000. I will take one also.... put me on the "list". Smitty:p

I'll make you a deal, I'll buy one and sell it to you for the discounted price of $899.99. Today only! Limited supplies! One per household! Offer void in Minnesota - just because.

my bladder would give out waaaaaay before I emptied that..
Usually mine will to, but in temps over 100.......

Shit... If it is under $1000. I will take one also.... put me on the "list". Smitty :eek:
No worries Smitty, it will be waaaay below that, but if you insist on $999 :D

Ok, way cool design.... I was wishing I had my Camelbak while riding across the desert this summer, but it is a pain if you're on a bike... on a bicycle it helps keep you cool...<G>

anyway... looking at your design and at some similar ones... I can see why you drilled the hole off center on the top due to the design of the Rubbermain container. wondering if any problems filling up.

Put me down for a set.

Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.