SW-FOG 2012 - Official Announcement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just six weeks until I leave for this grand event.

Looking forward to meeting and riding with you folks. And what a great area to do it in.

Question...I was just on the SW-FOG site looking over the routes and I noticed there is only one at 300+ miles.

Now this is my first "official" get-together with an FJR owners group and not totally sure what the mindset will be or has been in the past. Maybe I shoulda saved this question for a Friday. But is the riding pretty relaxed, high spirited or some of both? Can some of those short routes be clumped together for a much "fuller" day of riding? And will there be two-up bikes that go a spirited pace? (wife would kill me if she were reading this, but once she's on the bike and the Scala shuts down for some unknown reason, what can she say?)

I'll be doing a lot of slabbing to get out there and look forward to taking in as much of beautiful CO as I/we can. Then again maybe the rides are broken up into morning rides and afternoon rides? I'd just like to get a clearer picture of what the pot of gold will look like at the end of the Interstate Slab rainbow.

Mike
Mike,

The organized group rides will be a bit more relaxed in order to accommodate more people's riding styles. You can obviously go on your own, or with a couple other people in a smaller group to do something that is more of your liking. The other routes were designed to allow time to stop and take pictures, enjoy some of the sites (such as the sand dunes, Bishop Castle, Florissant Fossil Beds, and the area around Cripple Creek), and still get you back to the hotel in time to bullshit with the other SW-FOG attendees.

Just remember, that mountainous miles tend to take longer than flatland miles (lower average speed, higher average smile per mile). If you're looking for some really long days, the "Gunnison / Aspen Loop" will fit that bill as is. You could also combine the "Sand Dunes / Bishop Castle" ride with the "Deckers" route to get something like this: https://g.co/maps/9yjsy (This route is 465 miles, and supposedly takes 10.5 hours per Google). Finally, here's yet another longer option that gets you to the "Million Dollar Highway": https://g.co/maps/uu5pc (436 miles, 8.5 hours) (Note: those Google times typically don't account for any additional stops or lunch breaks)
I played hookie yesterday from work and did the colorado springs to salida loop, WHAT a DAY! Everything in weather from 92 degrees down to 51 degrees(at altitude in cripple creek), bright sunshine most of the day and then a little rain and tornado clouds(yikes)in the evening. For all those who don't ride here very often, if you have rain gear bring it for the rally, it will likely see some use.

I recently returned from a one week tour of CO with five friends. We expected great scenery in CO and were not disappointed. But the real surprise of the trip, was our first day riding from Holbrook into New Mexico. Normally, I just head for Gallup, then north towards Farmington or Cortez. One word - BORING! This time, from Holbrook we headed east on I-40 for a short jaunt to AZ-77 north to BIA-15 through Greasewood to US-191 north through Chinle to BIA-64 east past Canyon De Chelly to BIA-12. We then headed north on BIA-12 a short distance to Lukachukai where we picked-up BIA-13 east to US-491 north. There are several advantages to this route. First is to see Canyon de Chelly, and second is the ride over the mountains into New Mexico. This scenery rivals Sedona, but without the crowds. If you are in the Holbrook area at 10:00 +-, take this very scenic ride. You will not be disappointed. BTW, some maps show parts of this route as dirt, but it is paved all the way.

Things have come up and I will not be attending. Hopefully next year.

Regards

Mac

Jim, that IR-12 is a really nice ride if the flowers are blooming in the fields there. I've worked on the two resivores in the area. Alot better then "Old 666" to Shiprock. Still planning on riding this one, but have the bith of our first grandchild about the same time. IT's going to be a tough dicision to make! :p

Jim, that IR-12 is a really nice ride if the flowers are blooming in the fields there. I've worked on the two resivores in the area. Alot better then "Old 666" to Shiprock. Still planning on riding this one, but have the bith of our first grandchild about the same time. IT's going to be a tough dicision to make! :p
Old Fart!

What's so tough about it? The kid will be there when you get back right? ;)

one word INDUCE

one word INDUCE
You could buy him his first Colorado t shirt. He ain't gonna miss you the first few days anyway. Hehe...

Out of both curiousity and concern, how will these fires affect our riding around out there? I would imagine access to a lot of roads will be severely affected by the fire fighting efforts or by the fires directly.

It almost sounds as if it might turn into a "used to be" tour. As in..."over here there used to be a beautifully forested area. And over yonder that way there used to be some historical buildings."

I hope for you folks' sake these fires get knocked down soon.

Is Colorado on fire? I thought it was mostly NM. Northern NM only had one small one as far as I know. The worst of it is south by Ruidoso and the Gila Wilderness be Reserve.

So unless I just haven't been paying attention, which is entirely possible, at this point, no fires should have any effect on this meet.

Is Colorado on fire? I thought it was mostly NM. Northern NM only had one small one as far as I know. The worst of it is south by Ruidoso and the Gila Wilderness be Reserve.

So unless I just haven't been paying attention, which is entirely possible, at this point, no fires should have any effect on this meet.
Oh for Petey's damn sake 'Zilla, TripperMike meant the raging fire in your pantyhose ya Jackoff!

Out of both curiousity and concern, how will these fires affect our riding around out there? I would imagine access to a lot of roads will be severely affected by the fire fighting efforts or by the fires directly.

It almost sounds as if it might turn into a "used to be" tour. As in..."over here there used to be a beautifully forested area. And over yonder that way there used to be some historical buildings."

At this point, the main fires are not in the way of any of the suggested rides. Anything can happen between now and July 19th though. For those of you that live somewhere where it is raining, feel free to share the moisture with colorado, we could sure use it.

They might affect us. We're coming in from Denver and were originally going to go over Wilkerson pass on 24 out of Colorado Springs. That route is probably out now, have to take 285 thru Fairplay now

Ok, there is a T-shirt thread up. Go there for info to get your shirt. You gotta hurry. Someone waited until the last minute.

At this point, the main fires are not in the way of any of the suggested rides. Anything can happen between now and July 19th though. For those of you that live somewhere where it is raining, feel free to share the moisture with colorado, we could sure use it.
Sure would like to share some of British Columbia's moisture with Colorado! 1 1/2" of rain today and still more on the way. Almost everyday in June has had at least a shower. Had to go to Oregon to find dry riding.

Last edited by a moderator: