2013 Iron Butt Rally - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At this time the FJR count in the riders parking lot is 13 , but at least one more is in route.
39 BMW so far
It sure would be nice if someone could make a list that matches up FJR riders to their Spot abbreviations
If I remember correctly from '11, their SPOT abbreviations are supposed to be unknown in the likelyhood of outsiders giving help to those in the rally. Being able to see where someone's competitors are and informing their "favorite" rider about it. Pretty soon it becomes a rally of teams instead of individuals.

But then again I could be wrong. If it were allowed though, it would make it more fun as a spectator. Just imagine the possibilities of second guessing the moves of these riders by us mere mortals on the sidelines. LOL

I wish all the riders in the 2013 IBR rally a safe and satisfying adventure. I know for me the 2009 IBR experience I had was one of the highlights of my riding career. It was a very demanding rally and it was extremely extra hot in the southwest USA. It will be most important to stay hydrated.

I know a number of the FJR riders in this year's rally. I wish each of you a safe ride and high finishes. Will watch the rally with best wishes for all.

It sure would be nice if someone could make a list that matches up FJR riders to their Spot abbreviations
Please don't do that. Take the thread host's lead, Warchild, first. Doing something like that may get initials changed mid rally to something VERY undecipherable. As it is...you all are in a pretty good seat to watch. ;)

People, the IBA Chief Technical Inspector *personally* cut Ignacio's hair during the FROTG (First Riders Out The Gate) Haircut contest yesterday.

First, I'd like to say.... um..... sorry 'bout tha., Matt...
weirdsmiley.gif

However, Iggy's haircut is so unique and different, he could actually pull off this context....

Pictures to follow..... horrible, HORRIBLE pictures....

We had the vast VAST majority of Tech Inspections completed today... there are less than a handful of guys left to do. There was some high drama as Ms Kitty was the most vicious Tech Inspector we have seen to date, failing about 6 rider for various items, primarily foreigners without proper paperwork. Tom Austin was busy with several aux fuel cell volume measurements and aftermarket exhaust readings. Happily, no one has failed his measurements so far.

The Rookies Riders Meeting is wrapping up, and soon we will have the reception where the FROTG Haircuts Contest will be judged. This oughta be good...
weirdsmiley.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow

THAT is a haircut.

Wish I was there, 2013 was not to be :(

Heading to checkpoint 2

Hopefully the weather pattern breaks and we don't get a repeat of '09!! (good to hear from you TD!)

Thanks for the thread WC!

Reverse Mohawk
lol.gif

Matt.jpg

Stylish ?

Most definitely... the Reverse Mohawk is cool!
punk.gif
punk.gif
punk.gif

As an added benefit, I apparently gave him a Adolf Hitler bowl haircut to rear of his head.... we'll get pictures of that, too. It is truly hideous. Mind you, his Landing Strip goes completely around his skull and down to his neck... so now picture that Adolf cut <shudder>

weirdsmiley.gif

thumbsup.gif

Looking forward to reading Bob's reports again.

The first of two breif conversations I've ever had with him was about an hour before the start in 09 in the elevator on the way down. Went something like this:

Bob: "How you feeling this morning?"

Me: "Pretty good!"
smile.png

Bob: "Yeah, We'll see how your feeling on day 10!"
nono.gif

Me:
omg2.gif

Mike: "Bob!"

That sure was a tall building!

So where can one go to see the list of participants? I'd like to take a stab at predicting the top ten.BTW...what is the exact count of our fellow forumites in it?

101st

stryg8r

TriggerT

Karstenp

Bionic Pelvis

Mountain

Ignacio

BIODSL

who am I forgetting?

The FJR is represented well this year. Have a great rally folks!
Me :)

thumbsup.gif

Looking forward to reading Bob's reports again.

The first of two breif conversations I've ever had with him was about an hour before the start in 09 in the elevator on the way down. Went something like this:

Bob: "How you feeling this morning?"

Me: "Pretty good!"
smile.png

Bob: "Yeah, We'll see how your feeling on day 10!"
nono.gif

Me:
omg2.gif

Mike: "Bob!"

That sure was a tall building!
Check in with "The Inner Circle" in Buxton in 03 was... er... interesting.

Talk to Lisa.

Talk to Mike.

Talk to Bob: "We're talking to everyone and it's my job to observe each rider for fatigue and general well being. What day of the week is it?"

Me: "I dunno."

Bob: "What's today's date?"

Me: "I dunno but I always lose track of that kind of stuff when on a ride. But it's the right day for this check point. Right?"

Bob: "Who's the Secretary of State?"

Me: "Robert MacNamara?"

Lisa: "You guys cut it out. Get the hell out of here Mark and go get some rest!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts