Mode switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys

Well it appears the concensus regarding the Mode switch is that it is a damn good idea as everyone by in large uses it from time to time, myself included.

+ Mr Yamaha

Gazza

I get 50mpg easily in S mode when riding with my Goldwing buddy.
Goldwing buddies hate when you tell them that you get your best MPGs following them. I need to find a new one to ride with...
They hate it when they stop for gas and you just pull to the side and wait.
lol_zpsfd3ahpbp.gif

I've grown to love the T mode riding in the city. After almost 500 miles, I'm beginning to remember to shut off the turn signals.
I'm over 11,000 with my '13 and still leave the turn signals on. I'm considering super gluing my glove to the switch.
I'm doing better. I leave them on rarely now, and the reminder is easy to see when I look at the instruments. I've considered trying to wire a single LED inside my helmet right between my eyes. I bet that'd work.

I blow the horn occasionally, trying to cancel turn signals. Startles the bejesus out of me.
Yup. Happens all the time! And for me, Hud is right. Those PIAA horns are louder than you'd think, especially if you aren't expecting them to sound right under you.

So last August myself and 3 buddies headed for SEOhio for a long weekend. One guy was riding an older Concourse, the other other a Wing (what 30yr olds ride a Wing and have a sidecar for it?!) and Mark who was riding a 2012 C14.

We were running down I79 in that boring bit between Erie and Pittsburgh. We had stopped for gas and Marks butt was aching and he wanted to try my seat (Russell). So we swapped bikes, but I had forgotten I had left it in tour mode. About an hour later we stopped and he said the seat was fantastic, but their was something wrong with my bike. It's a DOG.

I realized what had happened. I flipped it into S mode. He got back on my bike, and merging back onto the highway, I leaned on the Kawi fairly hard, knowing he would do the same. The Kawi really does have butter smooth engine.

I heard very clearly in my Sena "WHOA!"

Big difference :D

Last weekend I took my brother for a ride on 2 lane roads. (He normally rides a ST1300)

After 15 miles on T (tittie) mode, I told him to go to S mode, and he got scared, then thrilled!
punk.gif

After 30 more miles he said 'this thing is more SPORT/touring vs the ST1300 is more sport/TOURING' and he loved it.

I rode (my son's) '03 FJR and remembered how light and flickable it is, vs smooth and powerful the 2013 feels. Both great bikes, just different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having owned and loved an ST1300 I can say that the T mode is very similar to the power delivery of the ST. The ST has a butter smooth, almost soft delivery, but it is more linear than the T mode of the FJR. The ST is almost like an electric motor.

S mode is nothing like an ST1300.

Just finished a 4,700 mile trip, mostly in T except for the twisty bits, about 2,000 in "S" which stands for Smile not Sport

Just finished a 4,700 mile trip, mostly in T except for the twisty bits, about 2,000 in "S" which stands for Smile not Sport
Funny, I prefer T mode in the twisties. It's all about throttle control and S mode, at least with me, just doesn't let me do it.