2014 Appalachian Campout

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be good never riding the Dragon again. The congestion & law enforcement are redick. A few years ago I was riding it with my buddy, Travis (slapnpop). A bumblebee rider (sport bike) passed us on a blind curve & about took Travis's front tire out when the guy cut back in to avoid being smashed by oncoming vehicles. I've ridden it since then... but could actually give a good shit about riding it, again. Now, the Cherohala Skyway... I absolutely love that road. Bikes like the FJR are made for that road.
I'm with you there...with it being the weekend and decent looking weather, so far, it'll likely be jammed up with Pepsi Cola racers and idiots. Time's better spent doing other roads IMHO.

Woohoo! Looks like we may be riding through some rain Thursday and Friday.
The current Cruso, NC forecast is calling for "sunny intervals" with occasional afternoon t-storms for Friday and Saturday...pretty much normal mountain weather it looks like. ;)

This past weekend must not of been typical, then. The weather in WV was absolutely stupendous! Absolutely perfect for canyon carving. The ride home once I dropped out of the elevations (my house is @ 15' above sea level) was a bit warm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still waiting to hear from Bob about what time we're meeting in South Boston on Thursday. I need to look @ a map but I "think" they're might be a good alternate to taking Rte 58/big assed speed trap until we decide to drop down into Sparta.
Well, if it helps any, I am supposed to meet Bob at 95 exit104 @8:30.
Bob, would it be cool to meet you guys here on Thurs as well? I'm definitely in.

Looks like we are heading down to Black Mountain tomorrow and plan to make the run in one day from Indy - about 7.5 hours on slab. This may be our only option, instead of a two-day trip, since we prefer to not ride in the rain and it looks like Thursday will be on and off rain all day. This also means we will not be able to ride the Tail of the Dragon or the Snake Thursday, which was an option originally, but maybe we can do the Dragon's Tail Friday on our way to the campground.

In any case, looking forward to seeing some folks I already know (yes, even you, Heidi!) and meeting some new ones! Safe travels to all and keep the rubber side down.

I'm still waiting to hear from Bob about what time we're meeting in South Boston on Thursday. I need to look @ a map but I "think" they're might be a good alternate to taking Rte 58/big assed speed trap until we decide to drop down into Sparta.
Bob, would it be cool to meet you guys here on Thurs as well? I'm definitely in.
Absolutely! See you at 0830 tomorrow. Just sent you a text.

Better add him to the list of attendees...so is Hogan coming?

Better add him to the list of attendees...so is Hogan coming?
I thought I did and yes.

Awesome! See you guys tomorrow!

See you guys tomorrow. & Allen, looking forward to seeing you & meeting your significant other, also. You are aware that I'm only teasing the CP's, right? I just think it's funny as hell that I'm not afraid but certain folks appear to be... that's all.

I'll see several of you @ the Sheetz in S. Boston tomorrow morning. Bye for now!

And for effect... Bob, I was just looking @ the list of attendees. It seems to me that Bull CBX & AllenC should have the designation of cabin pussies next to their names.

And for effect... Bob, I was just looking @ the list of attendees. It seems to me that Bull CBX & AllenC should have the designation of cabin pussies next to their names.
Naw. I think there has been quite enough of that stuff. I am just looking forward to riding and socializing. I may even drink a beer or two.

I just think it's funny as hell that I'm not afraid but certain folks appear to be... that's all.
Heidi, I don't think it's so much that they are afraid...I'm sure it's more of a comfort thing. I'm not a big fan of sleeping on the ground...but it is cheaper than a cabin. I could easily go the CP route, for the comfort factor...

And also, the (2) CP's are coming, two up. We only have to pack camping gear for one.

Not everyone has trailers like Bob & Mike.

I just think it's funny as hell that I'm not afraid but certain folks appear to be... that's all.
Heidi, I don't think it's so much that they are afraid...I'm sure it's more of a comfort thing. I'm not a big fan of sleeping on the ground...but it is cheaper than a cabin. I could easily go the CP route, for the comfort factor...

And also, the (2) CP's are coming, two up. We only have to pack camping gear for one.

Not everyone has trailers like Bob & Mike.
OMG Joe... I am so disappointed in you. What a buzz kill! It seems that Allen & George need to return the favor & kiss Joe's tuckus this weekend... or at least get their noses a little brown. @ least this time it was an actual attendee that came to the CP's rescue & not like those other 2 lame outsiders.

sighhhhh... & I thought Joe was my bud... or maybe it is that his sense of humor is lacking these days.

Maybe one of those guys will hold an umbrella over me, while I set up my tent Friday...
smile.png

Maybe one of those guys will hold an umbrella over me, while I set up my tent Friday...
smile.png
  • Friday - A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 78. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
  • Friday Night - A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 58. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
  • Saturday - A chance of showers and thunderstorms after 3pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 77. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
That's the latest from NOAA for the Cruso area. That system down south is screwing with the forecast daily it seems. Looks like I'll get a bit of a rain while setting up tomorrow night, lol. Oh well.

I'll be setting up in one of the spaces along the river...shouldn't be filled up on a Thursday night...I hope. :D

smile.png
LOL! You have made comments about setting up in the rain a few times, now. Why are you so convinced it'll rain @ that exact time? I think that intermittent means it is raining & then it isn't.

smile.png
LOL! You have made comments about setting up in the rain a few times, now. Why are you so convinced it'll rain @ that exact time? I think that intermittent means it is raining & then it isn't.
I hope you're right... I'm pretty sure most of my ride down to Sparta from SE Ohio tomorrow, will be in some heavy rains according to the NOAA web site. I'll need a drink and a cigar when i get to the hotel.

smile.png
Joe missed the "setting up the tent in a downpour" workups we carried out at Bolar Mt. last year right? So that explains it.... ;)

smile.png
Joe missed the "setting up the tent in a downpour" workups we carried out at Bolar Mt. last year right? So that explains it....
wink.png
lol... yeah Scott. & I didn't set my tent up in the rain. I sat in Bob's tent (who did) until it stopped raining & then set it up.