2014 Appalachian Campout

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe one of those guys will hold an umbrella over me, while I set up my tent Friday...
smile.png
LOL! You have made comments about setting up in the rain a few times, now. Why are you so convinced it'll rain @ that exact time? I think that intermittent means it is raining & then it isn't.
Joe missed the "setting up the tent in a downpour" workups we carried out at Bolar Mt. last year right? So that explains it....
wink.png
lol... yeah Scott. & I didn't set my tent up in the rain. I sat in Bob's tent (who did) until it stopped raining & then set it up.
Yeah. I set mine up in the rain and then did a beer run with Scott in heavier rain.

May your travels down be safe and little rain to contend with.

We are now in Lexington, KY, having a bite and gas...some sprinkles but nothing to worry about (yet). Heading through KY then TN and finally Western NC in about 4 hours.

*Update* we made it to Asheville...a little rain in TN.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going!

Positive vibes with the rain.... the cabins are sounding better as this goes along.

Last time I remember coming back from Waynesville in the rain with one headlight.

That MT Bolar shit was fucked up, torrential downpour putting up the tent and then it was cold.

Bringing extra dry shit this time.

Bob, finally got up with Heidi.

Leaving from my office around 2:30 this afternoon and plan to arrive at the campground tonight, probably around 9pm or so. Wanted to leave earlier, but clients have a tendency to pull last minute stunts that upset the best laid plans, oh well, lol. Going to be a stormy ride over...yeehaw! :D

The wife and I are heading out first thing in the morning to head that way. Could only get Friday and Monday off. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.Hopefully see everybody tomorrow evening.

Dang. Missed it! I hope to make the next one. In the meantime, I'm attending the VA Guzzi Rally at the end of June in Willville.

Made it home without much rear tire left. Had a blast with ya'll. I even liked the cabin pussies... who's gifts I forgot to give to them. Hope to hear everyone made it home safe.

Great Weekend! That was the most fun I ever had on the dragon. Not so much for Spanky. I boiled my rear brake fluid about halfway through doing some serious trail braking. We were carrying some pretty good speed. No LEOs. I told you guys late in the afternoon can be good even on Saturday! I love that T30 tire too. They had balls of rubber on them when we stopped at Deals Gap. They looked like track day tires.

Bob, thanks for putting that meet together; it was a lot of fun, despite the occasional shower.
biggrin.png
I got home without incident a couple of hours ago.

Yes, the Dragon was extraordinarily good yesterday afternoon...probably the best run of it. You were right on the time! Still thinking about 360...and the sweepers...

28 sticks out in my head. I've been thru there a few times... but never that fast & smooth. Id describe it as a scream! Uhhh ,a good scream.

Some photos from the trip...

BRMC in the morning...Friday morning actually.

IMG_3258-M.jpg

From the BRP, just down from 276, where you come up from BRMC. I like this shot.

IMG_3263-M.jpg

The campsite...

IMG_3262-M.jpg

Another nice one from the BRP...the Pounding Mill overlook I think.

IMG_3267-M.jpg

All by me lonesome...

IMG_3269-M.jpg

Along 215, on the Canton side.

IMG_3273-M.jpg

The rest of the gang's here...

IMG_3284-M.jpg

More...looks like Bob's commanding something.

IMG_3285-M.jpg

Our 360 mile Saturday excursion.

IMG_3287-M.jpg

Taking a break on the Cherohala...

IMG_3291-M.jpg

We hit the Dragon late in the afternoon, JUST before the rain hit. We got lucky and all enjoyed an un-blocked, fast ride. :)

IMG_3293-M.jpg

More Deal's Gap...

IMG_3292-M.jpg

The Sunday ride home. Heidi's rear tire was looking pretty sketchy (she's inspecting it), especially in the rain. It survived however.

IMG_3295-M.jpg

Another FJR adventure concluded...waiting for the next one...

IMG_3297-M.jpg

Great time, great group, great ride! No chicken strips on my rear tire and the best ride down the Tail so far - even scraped both pegs on the right side.

We tried to ride up the BRP and run the Snake into Bristol with Chris but the damned soaking wet fog and 53 degree temps stopped our trip just north of Black Mountain.

My wife enjoyed meeting all of you and looks forward to more group rides.

Great pics Scott.

Nice dry/hot (88 in Charleston WV) slab ride home for me, I did play a little off the highway once I got back into Ohio. 1,592 miles for the weekend...had a blast. I also like the T30 GT tires...but the back was almost to the wear bars when I got home...definitely not a high mileage tire. It was good to see everyone, and to meet a few new folks.

Allen, BMP? Bowel Movement Personified?

Great pictures Scott. I may get to mine tonight. I forgot to add on my home safe post that I did pass the 80K mileage milestone on the way home.

Dumbass here didn't video my Dragon Run on Saturday, but I did get the ride out of BRMC to the BRP on Friday. Probably would've knocked the camera off on the Dragon anyway, lol. This was my first "real" mountain run of the year and kind of a rust knock-off ride. The pace was considerably faster on Saturday with the group. :D

Man what a great trip. It was great hanging out with friends old and new. Thanks Bob for organizing. What's the next trip???