• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WynPro Air Induction Cover Plates

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No response yet, no problem... I was in no particular hurry. Lo and behold, guess what showed up in my mailbox this afternoon? Thank you sir - For a speedy (and stealthy) delivery on a beautiful product!

Looks like I have a project for tomorrow.

Finally got around to getting this done on "The Burninator" !!

Just shy of an hour job by myself....

0511151237_zpsr9q9f9zy.jpg

As always - thanks for the great products you keep turning out..... So sweet to clean up that engine bay.

I am curious to find out if the water tubes are in the way on the Gen3? Do you still need a stub allen wrench? Do they need to be removed? It would be nice to know so I can add that info to the install notes. If something changed please let me know.

Gen3 owners,

Thanks, Dave

Making more at this time, currently out.

I did not remove the water tubes, seemed to me they were the same as the gen 1, the pipes might just be a tiny bit higher, but I didn't measure nor can I confirm this, as it didn't come to mind to me... Just dove into the job until it was done...

I did not cut my allen wrench, I broke them loose with it and used it on an angle as best I could for a few of them. Those round headed allen wrenches would have been helpful after getting the screws broke loose, but I was able to get them loose enough and then either finish removal with a grippy needle nose pliers or until I could turn them by finger. It wasn't a horrible job by any stretch of the means to me....

Allen wrenches set I used were the basic straight end Eklind 10518 set.

3 or 4 of them I was able to use a 5mm - 3/8 - Drive Metric Hex Bit Socket

Like these below

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-W38890-8-Drive-8-Piece/dp/B000N35K6S

So - no changes to the Gen 3 Platform IMO....

Don't ask me why but I even did my Gen 1 with the tank propped up and not removed, but that was almost 10 years ago LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave, I have my tank off and am waiting for my plates. I'll take some pictures for you, I was able to put a uncut ball-end Allen wrench on each screw this morning. A long shanked ball end 3/8 drive Allen wrench would also work I think.

Ball end Allen wrenches did the trick for me too. For the really tight ones, I put an adjustable wrench across the flats of the plastic handle of the ball driver.

I am curious to find out if the water tubes are in the way on the Gen3? Do you still need a stub allen wrench? Do they need to be removed? It would be nice to know so I can add that info to the install notes. If something changed please let me know.
Gen3 owners,

Thanks, Dave

Making more at this time, currently out.
Update,

O.K. I finished up some more sets tonight. I will run off another batch tomorrow and then its off to the local metal supplier to bend over again. They clean me out so good I don't need no doctor to check me out.

Dave, LOL

IMG_20150513_114953153_zpsql5jdvrg.jpg

IMG_20150513_114856324_zps0cdbbdmr.jpg

I used a ball-end allen to remove and install the screws under the pipe, I used a 3/8" drive allen driver to do the forward screws. My long ball-end 3/8" drive allen driver has mysteriously disappeared.........but it would have worked as well.

No problem installing these on any generation if you do it during a valve check.

That is when I plan on doing mine. But my first valve check is still 20k miles away. ;)

Not to denigrate the product in the least, I love this mod, and fully intend to do it myself (again). But they are probably slightly less essential on a 3rd Gen since there is so little reason to go under the tank for anything other than a valve check and spark plug change every 25k miles.

But they are probably slightly less essential on a 3rd Gen since there is so little reason to go under the tank for anything other than a valve check and spark plug change every 25k miles.
It was a must for me when I swapped my Leo Vince pipes from Bass Bote Blue to the new ride......

Eliminated the decelerating backfiring, and actually helped reduce the droning sound of the pipes without the baffles in.

I'm with Fred...My first valve check is 22K away, but they were such a welcomed mod on the gen 1 I just had to have em.

Thanks Dave!!

Sending payment in for a set myself, doing a throttle body sync and might as well do a PAIR vasectomy while I'm in there... Thanks Dave!

UPDATE: Installed on my '06 in about 45 minutes, looks fantastic and so much easier to change spark plugs now!

11219086_10153333098118493_4084820366346837575_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.