Malibu Canyons

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WW'sFJR

Reaction score
WW's FJR,

I did this ride a couple of weeks ago with my beach buddies during the week, me on the FJR, Bill [Concours] and Dave on a Gold wing. We all found it kind of fun and a lot cooler too along the beach.

Just tossin' it out there for interest.........Saturday, Aug. 15th. [scratch Friday]

We can have lunch at the Reel Inn.......great seafood.

We ran into a road crew working on Saddle Peak Rd. hopefully they're done by now. If not........ it's down Las Flores to PCH.

Note: Checked today Monday Aug. 10 and Saddle Peak was not on the closed list. So let's go down Tuna Canyon. :D

START CHANGE: Meeting at Hawthorne and Artesia.......... 9:00AM KSU Saturday. Aug.15th, Fairlaner will be there earlier for the car show at 7:45 AM

I'm not normally the ride organizer so let me know what ya' think ?? Doin' it wrong......whatever? Not looking for a race here just a moderate fun pace with a lot of twisty stuff.

WW's FJR

HBLARRY

See Route

Rider's List:

WW'sFJR

Fairlaner

Big Dolma

Johnny 80's

FJRBluesman

MCML

Pegscraper

Jacquie

Possibly:

MCRIDE

JORSTIN

Last edited by a moderator:
I dig Malibu canyons! Latigo is a favoroite and Decker. I like going up Los Flores.

Never been to the Reel Inn, but Malibu Seafood has excellent fish & chips. Just sayin' ;)

Let me check with the household organizer and see what's up.

DECKER? The hair pin turns on Decker are so tight it you turn your head quick enough you can see your own tail lights... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The ride sounds like fun but I'm on call that weekend.

While we are on the subject of Malibu Canyons, recently while riding Mulholland on a weekday I stopped at the Rock Store for lunch, which by the way is a bit pricey ($24 for two sandwiches and two sodas). There were brightly colored Sport Bikes in the parking lot and out of the 13 or so bikes only two were Harleys. While relaxing under the tree, eating my patty melt and watching the usual tire kicking going on in the parking lot. I thought to myself this group must be to be the Rock Store regulars, everyone seemed to know each other and even when the Motorcycle CHP greeted each one as if they were old friends. I listened to the conversations going on around me and there wasn’t the usual conversations you would expect to here at a “Biker” hang out, yes there were the planed trips to Utah and Colorado and war stories, but not “road war” stories, think WWII and Korea. The conversations were about Medicare, their last check up, weather or not their wife would still let them ride and the stock market; the average age of this group had to be over 70. I found the entire thing very surreal.

Medicare + Sportbikes??? :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I dig Malibu canyons! Latigo is a favoroite and Decker. I like going up Los Flores.
Never been to the Reel Inn, but Malibu Seafood has excellent fish & chips. Just sayin' ;)

Let me check with the household organizer and see what's up.
This route gets you high above the surf quick. This route made me feel like I was in another state, a lot like skiing.

Tuna Canyon is only one way and it's down and "tight". If you haven't been on it before it will soon become

you're favorite.

The Reel inn is most excellent for grilled fish (blackened tuna's my favorite) and not pricey. usually plenty of seating area.

They have a big menu. fish and chips, crabs, chowder, shrimp and all those sea bugs.

Note: Might get zipped on Tuna Canyon if Saddle Peak Rd. is not repaired by now ( feel free to check it out). Las Flores was equally fun coming back to PCH. Lots of downhill inertia. Good brakes and tires will be a big plus.

WW'sFJR

HBLARRY

DECKER? The hair pin turns on Decker are so tight it you turn your head quick enough you can see your own tail lights... :lol: :lol: :lol:

While we are on the subject of Malibu Canyons, recently while riding Mulholland on a weekday I stopped at the Rock Store for lunch, which by the way is a bit pricey ($24 for two sandwiches and two sodas). There were brightly colored Sport Bikes in the parking lot and out of the 13 or so bikes only two were Harleys. While relaxing under the tree, eating my patty melt and watching the usual tire kicking going on in the parking lot. I thought to myself this group must be to be the Rock Store regulars, everyone seemed to know each other and even when the Motorcycle CHP greeted each one as if they were old friends. I listened to the conversations going on around me and there wasn’t the usual conversations you would expect to here at a “Biker” hang out, yes there were the planed trips to Utah and Colorado and war stories, but not “road war” stories, think WWII and Korea. The conversations were about Medicare, their last check up, weather or not their wife would still let them ride and the stock market; the average age of this group had to be over 70. I found the entire thing very surreal.

Medicare + Sportbikes??? :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Decker canyon's gonna get your brakes warm on the way down for sure. I didn't see any sport bikes on this ride until we got to Stunt Road and then only one. Got nothin' against the Rock Store guys, you never know who/what might show up there. The BBQ is good and the stories are as you say..........mostly road war stories. I'm not looking to take a nap anywhere like that until I get home.

WW's FJR

HBLARRY

You should recall yourself..........it's a fun ride. :yahoo:

For those riders that are North of me in Huntington Beach,

we should be able to pick you up easily at Neptune's Net on PCH.

Neptune's Net

42505 Pacific Coast Hwy

Malibu, CA 90265

WW'sFJR

HBLARRY

I don't recall anyone doing this ride recently/ever........let me know if you think

it's something that's been done before ??

WW's FJR

HBLARRY

Barry - I know the canyons well... well..., well enough. Can you use the same word three times in a row? I think I just broke a record!!!

I'm game, Saturday looks better for me. I love cruising the Santa Monica mountains, although it can get rather hot up there, so it's nice to be near PCH a couple times. I like hanging out at the Rock Store to see the wild life but not eat there.

Slappy wants to do Malibu again too! It's been nearly a year now since our last grand tour. Last time we didn't have time to do Los Flores so that would be fun! Tuna canyon is always a blast! The last time I did that was with Fairlaner and djbill a few months ago.

Come on SoCal, post up!!!

Lanny... Lanny.... Lanny... Fairlaner, djbill, Johnny80's, LLFJRP, San Diego clan, etc, etc.

Barry - I know the canyons well... well..., well enough. Can you use the same word three times in a row? I think I just broke a record!!!
I'm game, Saturday looks better for me. I love cruising the Santa Monica mountains, although it can get rather hot up there, so it's nice to be near PCH a couple times. I like hanging out at the Rock Store to see the wild life but not eat there.

Slappy wants to do Malibu again too! It's been nearly a year now since our last grand tour. Last time we didn't have time to do Los Flores so that would be fun! Tuna canyon is always a blast! The last time I did that was with Fairlaner and djbill a few months ago.

Come on SoCal, post up!!!

Lanny... Lanny.... Lanny... Fairlaner, djbill, Johnny80's, LLFJRP, San Diego clan, etc, etc.
'FJRBluesman',

Deeep subject.......eh?? :laughingsmiley: Oh......and I'm the Larry in HB, not HB Barry we all know in the yellow jumpsuit. I'm assuming he's still up in the Seattle area. Barry's a really great guy. Richard and him liked to drag me around every once in awhile.

It will be nice to get together with you chaps again. It's possible it might get warm up there but that's OK, you get thru it fairly quickly. It's a 120 miles for me.........kind of casual. I think we left here around 9:00 O'clock last time and arrived at the restaurant right at noon or a little after. Go ahead invite the clan......

I don't need to lead the whole way............ I'm just riding to the food :rolleyes:

Here's where I checked on road closures and such:

L.A. Road closures

If I read this correctly.......it looks like Saddle Peak should be open [after 7/31/09] and possibly delays on Los Flores

So we may get thru to Tuna Cyn.

WW's FJR

HBLARRY

My apologies.

1) I can't read, it does say HB Larry. I thought it said Barry. I also knew that Barry.

2) I didn't check first with regards to inviting the other children. :unsure:

Sounds good so far. ;)

My apologies.
1) I can't read, it does say HB Larry. I thought it said Barry. I also knew that Barry.

2) I didn't check first with regards to inviting the other children. :unsure:

Sounds good so far. ;)
I just didn't want ya ta be disappointed when you saw me......... :huh: Truth is Barry's probably

skinny now and I look more like his oldself......... :rolleyes:

I don't look all that sexy in yellow.

Sure invite the women, kids, bring dogs, bring cats :wacko: .........just bungee 'em on real tight.

WW's FJR

HBLARRY

I'm back .............spent most of the day watching other people ride their motorcycles on PCH

from San Clemente to Huntington Beach. Don't blame 'em it was a nice day today.

My buddy Steve just bought a new scooter. I thought he said motorcycle, traded in the Silverwing.

I got a chance to look at one in Newport Beach on the way home. I guess I'm not up on scooters

much ???? :huh: He carries this on the back of his motor home. He's already dumped it once on

a gravel shoulder.........ouch $8K.

Here' a video with Jay describing the new Biaggio MP3.........hope it plays well:

Piaggio MP3

WW'sFJR

HBLARRY

Riding the malibu mountains. Good stuff right there. 99 turns, Decker, Latigo, all good stuff, Yeah STUNT. Las Flores will rock the feej as well.

Riding the malibu mountains. Good stuff right there. 99 turns, Decker, Latigo, all good stuff, Yeah STUNT. Las Flores will rock the feej as well.
Hey Mojave FJR,

Did you count all those turns? :clapping: That's a task in itself. I'm still trying to get a feel for who might want to do this Saturday morning. If you're not too far out and away I think it could be kind of fun. Hope it's nice and cool for awhile.

I don't want to make a race out of this.........it's the kind of ride where you need to concentrate and enjoy the scenery too.

I don't think we need to be picking up a lot broken plastic. Were you able to look at the route I posted?

WW's FJR

HBLARRY

I'm interested. Gotta check with the Mrs.

I'm doing a Yosemite ride the next weekend. Thursday the 20th headed up to Mammoth Lakes, then Friday over Tioga Pass down through valley floor and then back out to Mammoth, then back home on Saturday. If I can get away 2 weekends in a row I am there. Have wanted to see what is on the other side of my mountains up here.

I will holler for sure by Wednesday.

I'm interested. Gotta check with the Mrs.
I'm doing a Yosemite ride the next weekend. Thursday the 20th headed up to Mammoth Lakes, then Friday over Tioga Pass down through valley floor and then back out to Mammoth, then back home on Saturday. If I can get away 2 weekends in a row I am there. Have wanted to see what is on the other side of my mountains up here.

I will holler for sure by Wednesday.
Cool..... :yahoo:

If you guys coming from the desert can make it........where do you suppose we should meet. Is my 9:00AM Huntington Beach location start OK with you near Yorktown and Goldenwest? I know you guys are traveling far to get here. If they open PHC along Bolsa Chica Saturday I was going to take it along the beach [honk at my surf buddies] before we hop on the 405 Fwy (car pool lane) to Malibu :rolleyes: Again......another pick up point might be Neptune's Net around 10:30 AM

+/- a few minutes. Good place to stop and meet up anyway.......rest rooms, coffee, check out bikes.

Note:

Top off your gas before you get to Netune's Net.........coming either way.. North or South!

I'm going to put a rider list up today sometime. I haven't done it before so bear with me......

WW's FJR

HBLARRY

I can't make this one as we have family coming in from out of town. I will try to get out of it but I doubt I can. Iwas already told to leave the saturday open.
Johnny 80s',

Hope you can make it....... if you can. When my in-laws intend to show up. I usually make myself scarce. :sarcasm:

I'd like to see a nice group come along. Maybe wishful thinking ??

I'm taking off to Joshua Tree this afternoon and coming back home tomorrow. Probable meteor showers tonight. Last time I went a coyote stole my breakfast burrito immediately when I set it and my helmet down on the picnic table. He came back later to pee on my FJR when there wasn't any more. The next morning I found the wrapper of my Del Taco burrito and another Big Mac combo he stole from somebody else. Brazen little buggar.

Will check back later and see if we gained a few more riders.

WW's FJR

HBLARRY