Nowthen Tech Day 4/23

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Annual ride to start the riding season off to a good start!!! Should be there with bells on!
It does seem like a great way to kick off a new season huh? Glad to see you'll be able to make it again Mark.
smile.png

Its on my calendar Mike!
Edit: I've got a truck hitch mounted No-Mar I can bring if there is interest. Anyone got a valve shim kit and want to help me check valves on my '08?
Awesome Brant! The No-Mar should come in handy. I think the group has witnessed my caveman technique enough as it is.

How close were your valve spec.s last time you checked? I know if I continue to host these tech days, I really should invest in a shim kit.

I should have a valve shim kit here this week. Need to dig into the Tenere soon and they are the same size.

Awesome Brant! The No-Mar should come in handy. I think the group has witnessed my caveman technique enough as it is.
How close were your valve spec.s last time you checked? I know if I continue to host these tech days, I really should invest in a shim kit.
Sounds good I'll bring it with. I've got the posi-clamps for it so I can change dirt bike/dualsport tires also. I also have a marc parnes balancer and the adapter to balance some BMW wheels. If you want to balance something other than an FJR, let me know and I'll see if the parts I have work.

I've never checked them! I've always skipped the 1st scheduled check and have been using the method of crashing the bike and getting a newer one until now.

I should have a valve shim kit here this week. Need to dig into the Tenere soon and they are the same size.
Whoo hooo! I like knowing handy people!

Sounds good I'll bring it with. I've got the posi-clamps for it so I can change dirt bike/dualsport tires also. I also have a marc parnes balancer and the adapter to balance some BMW wheels. If you want to balance something other than an FJR, let me know and I'll see if the parts I have work.

I've never checked them! I've always skipped the 1st scheduled check and have been using the method of crashing the bike and getting a newer one until now.

Whoo hooo! I like knowing handy people!

LOL So that's been your secret to success eh? I don't think I'll copy that maintenance method any time too soon. <crossing fingers>

I think this'll be our first valve check at tech day. Fantastic. Now you know you'll need to ride in early Brant to give 'er a chance to cool down. No worries though, it's not like there's a time limit on this affair. This will be a great opportunity for the others to get the hang of how to do it as well.

I was going to check mine beforehand, but maybe I can check mine while your's cools down. Repetition is the best teacher.

Hosting tech day has always been a pleasure of ours. And so far the weather has always been cooperative. Crap! I hope I didn't just jinx it now.

It would be great to have you come by Bill. And BTW, just how many buffalo statues are in Buffalo anyways? They were worth bonus points in a 10 hr rally last summer. I thought it was pretty cool.

Gonna by God make this deal this year! Leaving Thurs that week for Arkansas.......if anyone wants to go to a cool event down there, let me know and I will fill you in. Mike, is XX25X ***pton the right address?

That would be the correct address 2fjr. Hopefully we won't break your bike before your Ark. trip.
rolleyes.gif

I mean if we did, it wouldn't be out of jealousy or anything. lol

Got the Wynpro block off plates, a Rifle Windshield, and just splurged on the Rostra Cruise Control. So I should have plenty to talk about on tech day.

Change of plans for me. I'm not going to be able to make the tech session this year. My middle son bought a house and that's the day he moves in. Sometimes I wish I didn't have a 4x4 truck and a 6x10 enclosed trailer.

Have fun guys.

Well perhaps then the next tech day Cookie. Kind of a big day for you though, with your son buying his first house. Congrats to him!

but....

you have a 4x4 AND an enclosed trailer. hmmmm That is sooooo good to know.
rolleyes.gif

Yes, I have a trailer sitting in my driveway. It's not entirely mine. I'm in a band that bought it years ago to haul / store equipment. Back when we were playing a couple weekends a month, we got tired of hauling expensive audio gear around in the elements. We also didn't like having to unload everything into my basement at 3:00 AM after playing a gig. We're not playing many gigs anymore, so the trailer gets more use hauling furniture when my kids move. It's also a good storage unit when I get to much stuff in the garage.

We bought the trailer with doors, not a ramp. I regret that now, but it made sense at the time. I can still haul a motorcycle, but I have to use some portable ramps. I did add floor tie downs, just in case.

I still prefer to ride somewhere instead of trailering the bike.

Have fun at the tech session. Sorry I have to miss it.

I doubt you'd even need autopilot Ken. lol And you can let us know how you like your new seat.
smile.png
The Laam seat build must be caught in a time warp, as it was suppose to be done the end of Feb., but it still has not been started. I sent it in early Feb.
warning.gif

F.Y.I.; Most of my work to the bike have been done for the year, with the exception of needing to perform a valve check.

Last edited by a moderator:
I plan on making the trip, whats 500 miles each way to meet new friends?

I am gathering parts to do the block off plates and check the valves so we should all be experts by the end of the day.

Mark

I plan on making the trip, whats 500 miles each way to meet new friends?
I am gathering parts to do the block off plates and check the valves so we should all be experts by the end of the day.

Mark
Sweet! You are now designated as the warm weather bringer guy.